People are being stupid right now, so let’s just reiterate the facts and touch on some things we should take away from this (sources inline).
- Rep Gabrielle Giffords was shot, along with 19 other people this weekend. She, herself, is recovering, but 6 people died, including a Federal Judge and a 9 year old girl who was born on 9/11/01.
- The shooter, instantly identified as being a Tea Partier is, in fact, an anarchist, a 9/11 truther, and a democrat who made numerous death threats against authorities in recent days
- Sheriff Dupnik (lead investigator) almost immediately pinned the blame on the Right, most probably to deflect the blame off himself and the glaring mistake he made
- Jane Fonda and many other reporters, anchors, pundits and bloggers decide that its the Tea Party’s fault, when there is no connection at all. Most of this vitriolic emotion comes from the astounding midterm election upsets and the fantastic display of both bipartisanship and priorities on the first day of HoR session this year. While some Democrats walked out and others passed out earplugs, some Dems stood up to the plate and even took part in the reading of the Constitution. Rep Giffords read the 1st Amendment.
- The rabid left is now deflecting the disgust its receiving for trying to make a martyr out of Rep. Giffords by decrying the usage of rhetoric and imagery involving violence (target symbols on pictures, words and phrases in speech and print, etc).
- In a stunning bit of irony (see the last sentence of point #4), Rep Robert Brady is now trying to make illegal the usage of such speech and imagery against Congressmen and Congresswomen. Violation of the 1st Amendment much? So instead of taking responsibility for jumping to conclusions trying to villainize an innocent group of people, the Dems try to save face by looking like they are preventing this from ever happening again. Instead, Bob Brady ends up looking like a wuss who can’t face opposition.
So now, what happens when Obama incorporates violence into his next speech? If this is applied to Reps, why is the rest of America left out? What of President Truman? Somehow when Obama uses violent rhetoric, it seems contrived and makes him sound weak- like the tall skinny kid at school who talked a big game, but was too lanky to land a punch. Outlawing violent rhetoric is silly and unconstitutional. Instead of trying to save face,
“To be clear, if you’re using this event to criticize the “rhetoric” of Mrs. Palin or others with whom you disagree, then you’re either: (a) asserting a connection between the “rhetoric” and the shooting, which based on evidence to date would be what we call a vicious lie; or (b) you’re not, in which case you’re just seizing on a tragedy to try to score unrelated political points, which is contemptible. Which is it?” – Glenn Reynolds
Lets focus on the families of those that were killed, not parade around in this circus of which party’s fault it is or who isÂ subliminallyÂ to blame. Jared Lee Loughner shot those people. He pulled the trigger. He is to blame.
Thank God that Rep Giffords is alive, despite initial reports that she had died. Thank God that 13 other people made it through with only injuries. For the other 6 people, pray for the families as they have to grieve for the outcome of thisÂ despicable act.